I had been chiding myself or really driving myself crazy
trying to figure out how to address the torrent of shocking, frightening,
unbelievable new policies, orders and changes to our society. I have been zooming back and forth – a call
here, a letter there, a petition, protests, town halls, posting – trying to figure
out what I can do. The feeling of
inadequacy is compounded by my physical limitations. This morning I realized that if I had 500
times the energy and 1000 times the physical strength, stamina, and fitness I
still wouldn’t be able to address all that I care about. There is simply too much.
There are numerous things that touch on my personal life,
things that hurt people I know and love, and things that are wrong and impact
many people. I am for free speech, civil
rights, reproductive rights, voting rights, equality, a welcoming immigration
system, a government that works for the people.
I care about education, social services, healthcare, immigration and diplomacy. And So much more.
It would take all day every day and doing nothing else to
write, protest, boycott, research boycotting, read the news, make calls, and volunteer
to help. If I did nothing else I couldn’t
keep up. I have a life to live. I am sure I would burn out in no time. After all, when would I replenish my spirit
and energy?
I keep thinking about what Mallory McMorrow said about
picking one thing to make your cause. I
am not sure I can do that because I care about many things and believe they are
all important. There are things I can do that do not weigh on me. I can
continue to care and be informed. I can
narrow my focus to one cause and anything that affects me directly. For instance, if my social security check
doesn’t come, I’m calling.
To be effective and realistic means I admit I do not have
the wherewithal to do all that seems called for. I can bring down the temperature on
panic. Keeping care of myself by making
time for joy and meditation is just as important as sitting on the phone with a
staffer for 20 minutes arguing. The
enormity of the task engenders despair. Staying
clear about what I can do and what I cannot do creates space for hope and joy.
Looking at my duty as a citizen through this lens gives me
perspective I did not have. I can make a
difference and I can feel as though I am contributing by doing what is within
the wheel of possibilities I have created.
I cannot attend a protest or town hall in person. I can attend online meetings and town
halls. I can write and call my
representatives when I have a specific request.
I can sign petitions. I can share
this information with others and stay in touch with others who care.
I can and will also take time to read about art, scientific
advances and discoveries, and literature.
I will watch funny movies and read novels. I will meditate and keep in close contact
with friends and family. I will enjoy
time and peace in nature. Sleep well,
eat well, and renew my soul. Balance in
my thinking restores harmony in my life.
Here, here! Good advice to all of us who are up in arms over the policies of this awful regime.
ReplyDelete